Friday, October 3, 2008

How the heck do I get out of the parking garage?....and other tall tales from Germany

BPOV: I learn something new every day in Germany and I've only been here 4 days. The other day I learned how to get out of the hotel garage. Actually, the German and US hotel garages are similar. You get a card at the front desk and swipe it at a reader in order for the garage door to open so you can drive in. BUT, if I am leaving the garage in the US I would pull up to the garage door and swipe the card again or a sensor would detect the car and automatically open the door up. Not in Germany. I drove my car up to the door and almost hit it because I expected it to open. There was nowhere to swipe the security card and no button to push anywhere. I went back and parked and G walked up to door hoping to set off some unseen sensor or hit some unseen button. Nothing. I honked at the door. Yelled at the security camera and nothing. I waited for a car to come in hoping I could sneak out while the door was open, but it was a narrow lane and did no good. I had to call the front desk from the security phone because we were locked in the garage once we entered it funny enough (haha). They asked me if I had seen the chain hanging down in front of the garage door? Chain in front of the the garage door?? Yeah? So. I went back to the garage and in the middle of the garage, in front of the garage door was a plain chain hanging down from the ceiling. There was no sign on it at all. I walked up to it and pulled it and the garage door opened. Ah yes, pull the chain. It was so clear now. We got back in the car, drove up to the chain which was in front of the garage door. I pulled it and we left. And now I know how to get out of a locked garage in Germany. I also know how to crawl out of my hatchback trunk door in case the parking spot in aforementioned hotel garage is too tight to open the blasted doors.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The proverbial "pull my finger".