Thursday, October 7, 2010

Travel Options


Normally I defer to regular reader/commenter Cliff's blog to get the latest travel scoops, but this tidbit just came onto my radar last night. If you are like me and dislike massive connecting airports like Amsterdam's inefficient Schiphol (which one wag re-christened "sh@*hole") or rabbit warren/marathon endurance test that is the Frankfurt airport (seriously, Moses walked less than what a standard coach class traveler covers there to get a connecting flight), and don't get me started on the nine circles of hell known as Paris-Charles de Gaulle... there is now another option to get to little ol' Nuremberg. Thanks to 2 different airlines' upcoming schedules, travelers can now transfer at the acclaimed Copenhagen airport. SAS Scandanavia (Star Alliance member) flies nonstop from several US cities to Copenhagen. From there, folks can take either SAS partner Cimber-Sterling or one of Germany's oldest airlines, the overachieving OLT (also an SAS codeshare partner). Thanks to these new direct flights, I do believe we will take advantage and check out Copenhagen ourselves soon and see what all the rave reviews are about-- er, but not in the wintertime.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I will TOTALLY check out flights via Copenhagen! Honestly, I'm not a huge fan of ever changing planes in Europe when flying to the U.S. - we never seem to be flying into cities with direct connections to Europe, so we have to change stateside anyway. But if they have good prices and a Star Alliance carrier, that might be our new hook-up!

But I'll see your CDG and raise you Heathrow for the Airport-As-Festering-Sore contest. I have been studiously avoiding flying through there for years, so maybe it has improved since the opening of Terminal 5, but I have my doubts. At least you know your gate at CDG - last time we were at LHR, they didn't bother to display the gate assignment until about 20 minutes before the scheduled departure! The repulsive, rabbit-warren-reminiscent concourses, the closed-off gates with no chairs or benches. Blech - I'll take CDG over LHR any day.

The Accidental Expat said...

Sarah: Thanks, but based on your description, I'll make every effort to steer clear of LHR now and in the future.

One airline I was researching for our recent trip back home was actually Air Canada-- it's Star Alliance, pricing is always very competitive, and it would have been a one-stop trip, with the first leg being Munich to Toronto (Air Canada flies into almost every major US airport from Toronto). But in the end it was cheaper to fly straight out of NUE, not to mention more convenient. At the very least, with these new direct flights, a holiday to Copenhagen is up for discussion.