Saturday, November 22, 2008

A minor sin, committed weekly


As I mentioned in a previous post, I'm finding it a little hard to find a decent cup of coffee in this town. This will change when we finally move into our own place and dust off the French press, but for now we're at the mercy of the local coffee shops and cafes. Most shops (and believe me, I've visited a lot) serve a basic black coffee that is highly acidic and bitter, no matter how much milk you dump into it. But I still need to slake my coffee jones, and the closest thing to "meh" quality I've come across has been in the regional powerhouse (130+ locations) bakery known as Der Beck. So 3-4 days a week, I go down to my local branch of this Bäckerei with my books to order a cup of joe and a pretzel and camp out at a window table and study for a spell, an indulgence that sets me back a cool EU 2.20 (about $2.75). Oh, and just as in Asia, the concept of the bottomless cup of coffee is not in evidence anywhere I can see in Europe.

No comments: