Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Nifty Advertising

For as long as I've been a car geek, I've always liked Saabs. This Swedish car maker have followed their own path in terms of design and engineering, and have a lot of respect in the automotive industry as a result. I've owned 2 Saabs thus far, a 9-3 (that I'm convinced saved my wife from a terrible injury-- or worse), and a 9-5, and I've written about wanting to purchase a low-mileage Saab 90 here in Europe and export it back to the States when we go home. These days, Saab is very much off the radar due to several factors, not the least of which being neglectful parent General Motors (they bought the marque in the late 1990's hoping to have a fully-formed BMW competitor), who have done nothing but neuter the brand's well-defined image in the interim. GM's recent bankruptcy has led to Swedish hyperexotic supercar maker Koenigsegg agreeing to buy Saab, and the deal should clear by year's end. For their part, the Koenigsegg folks have stated they want to "turn Saab into Saab again," which is music to my ears. This commercial was just released in the UK, and is a great primer as to the originality, fun, quirkiness and intelligence that defines this unique brand. And it's really fun to watch too. Saab is back!

No comments: