Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Get 'Em Chewie!


I spotted this poster (click on photo for larger version) in the window of the local Communist Party offices whilst on my way to the capitalist grocery store to supply my decidedly bourgeois gluten-free diet. My first thoughts in this case were (1.) Wow, a Communist Party still exists? (truth be told, this office of theirs is never, ever open) ; (2.) I guess they are using Star Wars imagery (as convoluted as it is) in an attempt to get the younger generation involved. There is a long and abiding dislike between Germany and the the old Eastern Bloc dating back well before WWII (and there is that whole East Germany thing on top of it), so I doubt the Reds get a whole lot of traction here. Judging by the posters plastering the windows of this office, nearly all of the Communist party's ire is directed towards Neo-Nazism's creep back into the ranks of the disaffected younger generation. I'll leave that subject for some other time, but the short story is that we don't see too much of that sort of thing here in Nuremberg thankfully. Translated, the poster header says "Nazi Memory Block! Fight Historical Revisionism!" Smash those Empire goons Chewbacca!

No comments: