Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Street Food Pt. 2: Simit

I've talked about the local fast food before, the famous Nuremburger sandwich HERE, and here's another treat: the Simit, a Mediterranean/Middle East delicacy, known as a "Turkish Donut" in some parts. Bavaria (and Germany in general) has a fair number of Turkish immigrants, and I picked this example up at a Turkish bakery near my language school. Besides the thing being huge (that's a regular sized knife to give you an idea), it's also pretty cheap-- anywheres from 0.45-0.60 Euro cents. Simits are faintly sweet bread (small amounts of sugar and molasses are used) covered with plain or toasted sesame seeds, and the texture falls somewhere between a bagel and a fresh-baked pretzel. I love the things, even though it takes a full day for me to consume an entire Simit.

No comments: