Tuesday, November 16, 2010

A Letter From China



B has been in China for the last few days and has taken time out of her impossibly busy schedule to write a few impressions. Take it away!
_____________

B here, blogging to you from the south of China. As G mentioned earlier, the reason we are in Germany in the first place is because of my company. And because of my job I travel to Asia at least twice a year. Not to lovely places like this, but to places like Qing Yuan, China. There are worse places to be sure. I'm just glad I like my team and that we travel well together because there is not much to do while here except work long hours and hang out in the hotel bar at night. Today my brain is a little on the fritz and it's only day 2. It feels like it's been a week already. A normal day will have the team picked up early at the hotel and brought directly to the factory where we set up shop. The work rooms are set up with pullovers, samples, shell patterns and we all sit around a table with computers and all our work gear. It's crowded and it's rare for me as a Product Developer to sit for very long at my computer. Normally I'm running around talking to Factory Developers, Tooling and Pattern room people answering all sorts of questions both hard and easy. Later this afternoon I'll be heading into the production line to review a really complicated item I developed. Specifically, I'm told I need to see how complicated the process is. Seeing how this is made always gives me a good appreciation for the workmanship that goes into it and in the end helps me to do my job better.

No comments: