Thursday, February 11, 2010

So, What's A Trade Show Like?

Just got back last night from a whirlwind 4 days in Germany's 3rd largest city (1.35 million residents), and the capitol of Bavaria-- the city of Munich. I was there helping out my old business partner at the ISPO international trade fair, and doing my level best to network as well. I definitely picked up at least one new client, and have a couple others interested.

I've been attending trade shows pretty much uninterrupted for about 18 years straight, 2 times a year, and almost exclusively as an exhibitor-- you know, those poor mopes who man the booths. For anyone who thinks that trade shows are glamorous or in the slightest bit "fun," please allow me to disabuse you of these crazy-ass notions. Trade shows are a lot of work, and are both high stress (you have 3.5 days to create business for the following 6 months-- when the next trade show occurs), and a slow form of torture. I've often joked that trade shows routinely violate the Geneva convention-- I mean, you've got it all: sleep deprivation (wake-up call is at 6:00am sharp, the days routinely end after midnight), malnutrition (food on the go; most of it empty calories, and lunch is a rarity), physical stress (ever stand on a concrete floor for 10 hours straight, 3+ days in a row?), and mental abuse (painting a smile on your face and giving the same sales spiel twice every hour, plus the stress of making this a successful event). And as far as the photo above, I once described being a trade show exhibitor thusly: Put $10,000 in a paper bag. Now light it on fire. Now walk away. Travel costs, staff costs, booth rental, food, lost sales from being out of the office, etc., etc.-- frankly, the $10,000 figure is pretty lowball. That being said, it's a necessity to do these things and part of being in business, but it's not pleasurable-- If I went as a retailer, that would be a completely different story altogether-- free stuff from one end of the hall to another, party invites, celebrities, food and drink-- now THAT is the fun side of things-- mixing work and pleasure.

On the lighter side, for the 3rd show in a row, I managed to finagle a "journalist" pass, which did allow me a bit more freedom to move around the show as I pleased (technically, exhibitors can not enter other exhibitors' booths), and access to the two Press Lounges, which were a comparative oasis-- free WiFi, snacks, coffee and drinks. The show organizers really snuggle up to the press, so it was fun to play the part of the ink-stained wretch, get some fresh fruit and a cappuccino, and send meeting synopses to HQ via my laptop in a quiet room.

This also marked my 4th time in Munich. One day, I actually hope to see it. Again, heading off to a show at 8:00 am (when sun is just starting to come up) and coming home at 8:00pm (when it's dark), with any number of must-attend functions and commitments that go to 11:00pm and beyond doesn't really lend itself to exploring a city. I'm pretty sure I would like it though-- Munich seems pretty cool.

So if shows are so damn awful, why do I go? Well, it was to help out a friend in need, build up my freelancing business, and put some money in my pocket. Plus, well, beyond the fact that I'm actually (gritting teeth here) pretty good at them, I occasionally do miss the hurlyburly and the minor adrenalin rush/pressure cooker atmosphere. That, and in 6 months, I'll probably forget how much I hate trade shows, and go to the next one.

1 comment:

cliff1976 said...

Ugh - sounds stressy.

But what kind of trade show was it? What's your line of freelancing work?

Would you like to discuss this in person? Sarah and I would love to meet you for coffee in the Nürnberger Altstadt tomorrow (we're spending the weekend there). Send email to myusername@gmail.com please if you're game, and then we can exchange mobile numbers and settle on a venue (pretty much your call).