Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Signs of September

You know it's September in Bavaria when the major department stores have their dedicated sections for Lederhosen (and its female equivalent, the Dirndl dress) front-and-center. To some, this is the standard clothing to wear to beer and folk fests, and having been to my share of these, I'd agree. With the Bacchanalian blast of Oktoberfest around the corner, the timing seems correct.



I'd also like to point out that Lederhosen are definitely NOT a German-wide thing-- it's more an Alps thing, meaning Southern Germany only (and seemingly confined to Bavaria), and the neighboring Alpine regions of Austria, Northern Italy and Lichtenstein. Most Germans outside of Bavaria find these traditional farmer's clothes appallingly hayseed, though I see them year-round in these parts. A proper standard quality Lederhosen set runs about 250 Euros, the checkered shirt another 40, plus the socks and special shoes as well. Vest is optional.

1 comment:

cliff1976 said...

I rather dig my set. Took me six years of living here before coughing up for tge Seppl-Anzug, but I'm glad I did.