Sunday, October 19, 2008

Getting settled...

G:  Apologies for the lack of posts lately.  B is getting situated at her job which is starting to head into a busy period again, and I'm falling into a routine of my own.  As some of you know, I don't actually have an actual "job" here per se, but I'm staying plenty busy, and I'm rarely at the hotel during the day.  Part of it is going through all of the silly hoops one must do with any sort of move; the added whammy is that it's in a foreign country where I don't speak the language, and the rules are all different.  I've mentioned our tiny kitchenette in a previous post; the problem with the small fridge here is that it doesn't hold much, so I go food shopping 2-3 times a week for the staples.  Beyond that, I spend over an hour every weekday morning walking to the city center to physically move money from one bank to another because my bank back home (who shall remain nameless) is unable to transfer the money electronically.  So I walk to the lone downtown Deutsche Bank (who has an agreement with my USA bank that I won't get charged the highway robbery 3% transaction fee+ foreign ATM fee+ international fee), withdraw my maximum-allowed 500 Euros, then walk another half-mile to "our" bank, and hand a wad of cash over to be deposited, usually to a teller that doesn't speak English (this is a VERY German bank, whose website and ATM's don't even offer English as an option).  Good times.  Believe me, physically moving your entire life savings in tiny bits takes a while.  Actually, it's not all that bad-- the weather has been behaving, I've been taking plenty of pictures along the way (pic posts coming later this week), and I find myself walking several miles every day on top of the long walks B and I take in the evenings.  I'm also doing some writing work for an old employer, and the benefit is that I can take the laptop to the hotel lounge or courtyard, or any number of coffee shops and do my stuff from there.  Boredom is a killer, and I'm planning on staying busy for the duration.

No comments: