Sunday, October 19, 2008

"You don't need to speak German here... now here are your German instructions"

G:  That's pretty much how it went down when I picked up the cell phones (which, again, are referred to as "handys" in these parts) from the local T-Mobile shop 2 weeks ago.  I was advised by our (British) relocation agent/fixer to make sure the phones were reprogrammed to give English instructions/commands, and to deal with this one specific salesperson who is the go-to person for all of the agencies' American, Brit, and Aussie clients.  The salesperson wasn't available when I went in, so the store manager picked up the mantle, and finished the sale (don't ask me why, but we had to shop for phones and sign the contracts on one day, then come in a couple days later to actually pick up the phones).  I asked about reprogramming them to English, and the manager basically blew me off, said it would be a breeze to do it myself-- it was all in the manual.  And that's when he told me that a person could get along just fine in Germany without speaking a single word of German.  Hoo-Kay, fair enough.  So when I got the phones home, I set to getting them reprogrammed... except that the instructions were printed in German.  And Portuguese.  It took another trip to the store to set things straight.  

No comments: