Friday, April 15, 2011

Going Solo

B left this morning on a business trip to the USA. Under normal circumstances, I'd be a tad jealous, but after viewing her itinerary just for today [Nuremberg to Paris, wait 5 hours; Paris to Detroit, wait 2 hours in that vacation paradise (sorry Cliff); Detroit to Knoxville, TN-- that's over of 22 hours of planes and airport stops], and realizing that this is just the first leg-- after 2 days on the ground in Tennessee it's off to Atlanta for a couple days, then a brief jog to the west coast before coming back here to Germany all in a 9-day whirlwind-- I'm glad to be holding the fort here. In fact, the only thing that grinds my gears is that she'll be staying a mere 0.3 miles from a Waffle House, the southern restaurant chain which holds a siren-like call on me-- I ask: where else can you get a steak dinner and a hot fudge sundae at 5:00am, or a chocolate chip waffle and eggs over easy at 11:00pm? Anyhoo, while I have some work to keep me busy, I rather suspect that the dishes will pile up in the sink, the pizza guy will see me regularly, and the dust bunnies will grow to tumbleweed-like dimensions around the manse. B will be impossibly busy, but did hold out the faint hope that she could maybe do a guest post on the road. Safe travels my dear, and I swear the place will be reasonably clean upon your return!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Actually, the first leg ended up being 24+ hours and we went through a horrific thunderstorm to boot. Will try to post with your help and will be missing you the whole trip. Oh, and will also try to get to a Waffle House to scratch your itch. -xo/B

cliff1976 said...

Paris to Detroit, wait 2 hours in that vacation paradise (sorry Cliff);

No offense taken!

Greetings from here.

The Accidental Expat said...

I bet they have good Mexican food there in Mexico... Enjoy your time there. We were in Puerto Vallarta for less than a day, heading off to some artisinal tequila factory in the boonies before re-boarding our cruise ship. I thought the town was pretty cool.